Saturday, November 27, 2004

Morning Wood, Thanksgiving, Family, & Alexander

Well as Thanksgiving began to approach I started to get very nervous because I had to go to a family reunion which was taking place in New Orleans. It was a family reunion on my Mom's side of the family. My mom is one of 8 children and each one of her brothers and sisters have at least 2 kids each and all of them came down as well. I was nervous to be all around them because I'm a bit of a loner (I'll get to that later) and none of them know about me being heterosexually challenged and pretty much all of my family is extremely homophobic. The 2 aforementioned reasons is why I usually stay away from these things but my mom who really wanted me to attend and the attraction of shopping in New Orleans for some vinyl enhanced my potential to attend.

So, I drive down 8 hours to meet up with everyone and the house is a buzz with everyone. I have at least 20 1st cousins there ranging from ages 2-29. It was so weird to see everyone. They're all so loud and huge (I mean 200-300 lb huge-I thought I was fat), and they're all loud and GHETTO!!! I get there and hang out with my mom a little bit and then I see a friendly face in my cousin Angela who is really right-on and we think at the same level. So, I hang out with her and we decide to go see Alexander together because we appreciate Stone and we really wanted to see the film.

So later on that night we go back to the hotel. My parents got 2 rooms. One room was for my sister, her boyfriend, and her little girl. The other one was for me and my parents. I must admit I felt very weird sharing a room with my parents. I even felt weird getting ready for bed in front of them. The worst part though was waking up the next morning. My parents were already up and moving around and I had morning wood. I mean...how in the hell do you hide morning wood from your parents. If I was at home, I wouldn't have this problem, but morning wood?!? Oh my god, it was terrifying. After that, I was chatting it up with my dad about my niece his granddaughter and he was telling me what a loner she was and she's just recently turned 6 yrs old. He was saying how she followed in his footsteps and that I've followed in his as well. When he mentioned it, it did kinda make sense. I am a sociable person, but sometimes I definitely like my alone time even when I'm in big social settings I do tend to get by myself. It was just a little weird.

The worst part hands down of the trip was my theatre experience of Alexander. As I mentioned earlier my cousin Angela and I decided to go see Alexander. She's really cool and I think if I were able to come out to anyone it would be to her. So, Thanksgiving night we got to the theatre early because we knew how busy it was and we didn't want the tickets to Alexander to sell out. Our showing was @ 9:45 pm. We arrived @ 9 pm. Our other cousins hadn't arrived yet, they had planned on seeing Seed Of Chucky (which isn't that great). Angela and I started to see that all of the other movies were selling out. She told me that she thought that everyone else would probably see Alexander with us because there would be nothing left. I was scared of that because I knew the film had strong gay overtones and I knew that they wouldn't be mature enough to watch the film and accept it for what it was. Surely enough, that's what happened. Every thing else sold out, and all of my cousins had no choice but to watch Alexander. So, before the movie, they all bought drinks because believe it or not you can buy alcolholic beverages at movie theatres in New Orleans before your movie starts. So, Angela and I went in first and they all eventually surrounded us. Everything was going O.K. until the gay content came up and they were disgusted by it and let everyone in the theatre know that they were disgusted. They audibly voiced their disgust as the movie went on. They made homophobic jokes throughout the rest of the film. It was very uncomfortable experience. My sister, who's the only one who knows about me, apologized profusely for their unruly behavoir. She's so sweet, it wasn't even her fault. The next morning when we all met up with the rest of the family, Alexander was the hot topic of the morning and everyone talked about homosexuality and just how horrible and wrong it was and how disgusting it was. Everyone made jokes and laughed even more. It was one of the few times that I felt pretty disgusted to be around my own family and I vow that if I can help it that I will never be around them ever again. I will just surround myself with my mom, dad, sister, and niece.

I must admit I envy those families who can be around one another and be open with each other. Those families are still kinda fucked up in some way, but not as fucked up as mine. Whew...that's a mouthful.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home